Balancing Wisdom with Ambition in the Next Life Chapter

A couple of years before and after retiring from my career, I sometimes unintentionally heard the advisory words: 'Make way for the younger generation to give them full play' and 'Don't set ambitious goals after retirement to avoid sowing seeds of unnecessary stress and risks.' Maybe because of that, consciously or unconsciously, I have followed the rules of these words as a risk-averse retiree. I would be lying if I said nothing is missing in such an easy life choice. However, yesterday I happened to watch a dialogue video featuring a Japanese cognitive scientist, a Carnegie Mellon Ph.D. holder, discussing coaching. According to him, setting life goals beyond one's comfort zone, somewhere in the scotoma (a blind spot in one's vision), would be more effective in achieving them because it helps maximize brain and mind function, breaking the familiarity of conventional routines and creating new routines to achieve goals. This theory may give me a supportive push to set slightly higher goals.

Popular posts from this blog

Rediscovering Purpose in Retirement

The Power of Mind Mapping

The Wisdom of Japanese Proverbs: Leading by Example in Parenting and the Workplace: